Need help w/ windows extended character display

From: GR <nospam_at_devnull.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:34:51 -0400

I am having difficuly figuring out why some extended characters I have stored in Oracle 8i display OK in some cirsumstances and not in others. The data in question is stored in a 'LONG' and the character in question is a bullet (HEX 95). This data was originally imported via JDBC from a MySQL database. Our app is based on JBoss/Jetty and is displaying the characters in a JSP based page, getting the data via JDBC.

Here is a breakdown on when it does and doesn't show up right....

Running (Jetty on Windows) w/ (Oracle 8i on Solaris): OK
Running (JBoss/Jetty on Solaris) w/ (Oracle 8i on Solaris): corrupted
Running (ATG Dynamo on Solaris) w/ (MySQL on Solaris): OK

It seems as if something is getting screwed up by the Solaris to Solaris JDBC Oracle connection.

Any help would be appreciated.