Re: It takes all kinds...

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:11:35 GMT

paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk said...
> "Norman Dunbar" <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi Franklin,
> >
> > if I had said 'I have mated with Neil' then that would be different !
> > However, I said/wrote/typed 'I have a mate' which makes 'mate' a noun
> > and not a verb.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Norm.
>
> Norman,
>
> If I were you, I really wouldn't bother. This is what they want.
> I don't know what's going to happen to the NG. We seem to be under a 'denial
> of intelligent discussion' attack here. It's sad.
> My (maybe somewhat naive) recommendation: Just ignore them. If no-one rises,
> eventually they will get fed up, and go away to taunt someone else.
>
> Regards,
> Paul
>
> This is my first and last posting in this thread, unless a response is
> posted by one of the white hats.

Yes, we have had a lot of these kinds of anti-intelligent posts lately. There seems to be two varieties:

  1. Post a "which is better?" question on multiple NGs for competing products (like Oracle and msSQL). Then sit back and watch the feathers fly.
  2. Respond to someone's post with gutter slang, which infuriates the target, causing them to feel compelled to defend their honor. It's the same tactic used in a recent desert conflict where loudspeakers mounted on Hummers blasted insults to the manhood of the local men, causing them to come out of hiding to defend their honor.

I agree with you. Probably the best tactic is to ignore the taunts ... unless you just want to see your posts appear ad infinitum in multiple threads. There just aren't any good rebuttals to fanaticism. <g>

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA