Re: It takes all kinds...

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 12:09:57 -0700

pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com (Geomancer) wrote in message news:<cf90fb89.0306241807.22648936_at_posting.google.com>...
> > its somewhat similiar to the degrees from 'top schools'. there are quite a
> > few larger companies which are biased towards these degrees.
>
> Hi Ryan,
>
> Yes, it is true that an Ivy degree is valuable in the marketplace.
> Isn't that why kid's fight to get into Harvard and Yale and MIT?
>
> As for IT, some of the best Oracle people in the world come from MIT
> and West Point. They have AMAZING technical ability. I once saw an
> MIT grad decompile a part of the Oracle executable, make changes, and
> save a whole company from a disasterous Oracle bug.
>
> I think that many companies recruit from the Ivys because the school
> has pre-screened them the inteligence, persistence and hard work.
> Very few slackers (except maybe Dubya) get into Yale without tons of
> hard work and drive.

so your saying that those of us who do not want to shell out $30k/year for school cant be good also?

im doign a masters and probably a ph.d. at a local state school. now i could get into johns hopkins, virginia, or virginia tech(which if you look at the ratings are right up there with the ivy league schools in computer science, etc..), but they are alot more expensive and a much longer drive. this is just silly. Received on Wed Jun 25 2003 - 14:09:57 CDT