Re: sqlplus memory leak?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:59:58 +0200

On 25 Jun 2003 05:48:43 -0700, pimreinders_at_planet.nl (Pim) wrote:

>We use many linux shell scripts requesting data from our (Oracle 8i
>enterprise 8.1.7.4.0 running on Redhat 7.1) database. Many scripts use
>sqlplus to connect to the db.
>When these scripts are used intensively we observe a steady growing of
>the memory usage until the point that the swap daemon consumes all the
>CPU capacity.
>Anyone who can shed some light on this?
>
>The problem can be isolated by running the following shell script:
>
>ii=1
>while [ $ii -lt 1000000 ]
>do
> sqlplus scott/tiger <</
> select 1 + 1 from dual
> quit
>/
>ii=`expr $ii + 1`
>done

I don't think there is anyone with only a bit of common sense that ever calls sql*plus in this fashion.
Please specify what would make it necessary call sql*plus 1 million times in a shell script. Lack of knowledge of Oracle I guess.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Jun 25 2003 - 11:59:58 CDT