Re: Media recovery when using an old controlfile

From: Jurjen Oskam <joskam_at_quadpro.stupendous.org>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 14:36:08 GMT

In article <3ef99fde$0$5429$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>, Arcangelo wrote:

> As to the original poster's question, I can't tell. He says he did a 'sort
> of' shutdown abort, but that actually consisted of copying the datafiles!!

I'll try to describe what I did:

As I understand it, this results in datafiles that are further in time than the controlfile. I'd like to start the database on machine B using the backup controlfile. I failed to do this, with the symptoms as described in my original post.

> Don't even pretend to know how a copy can look like a shutdown abort.

You're right, I shouldn't. But, as far as the split-off datafiles are concerned, they could just as well be the result of a system crash: at time T-1, they were being written to/read from by the Oracle instance, at time T they were suddenly (and all at the same time) stopped being written to/read from by the Oracle instance. From the split-off copy's viewpoint, the Oracle instance just disappeared. My assumption was that this is equivalent to a SHUTDOWN ABORT. Since I don't *exactly* know what SHUTDOWN ABORT does, this assumption was not justified.

> Anyway: the error 'but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below ORA-01194: file
> 1 needs more recovery to be consistent' invariably means that not all
> datafiles were restored for the purposes of an incomplete recovery.
> Therefore, a (or possibly several) datafile(s) is/are at a time ahead of
> where the incomplete recovery is halted, and since they can't be rolled
> backwards in time, the database is doomed to be forever inconsistent.

As I said above, I failed to start the database using the backup controlfile created in step 2 above. However, after I changed the control_file parameter (on machine B) to the split-off controlfile (the result from step 3 above), the database could be started with a simple STARTUP command, nothing else needed. With the backup controlfile the database failed to start up, with the current controlfile no problems whatsoever were encountered, with exactly the same datafiles.

--
Jurjen Oskam

PGP Key available at http://www.stupendous.org/