Re: It takes all kinds...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:34:06 +1000

"Gene" <no_name_provided_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:bbbifvg38skfdbtbiv499vs5e9odgkl44j_at_4ax.com...

> Interesting thread:
>
> Take a look in this weeks Business Week, the current unemployment rate
> for gen x Ivy's is running about 55%.

Well, the thing is: not everyone that gets into these schools is automatically out of this world. There is a lot of "subsidising" by wealthy families going on. Plus "prestige" entries, etcetc.

I'd say the rate you quoted is about right for what I'd expect out of them - around 45% exceptional. Which is an amazing number, given that normal schools would have a hit rate on genius of around 0.1%. *If* they are lucky.

> >> decompiled object code? You sure?

The mainframe people I used to work with did often patch the executable code itself. That's direct machine code patching.
Nothing to it once you know which buttons to push.

However, it takes a bit of very outstanding knowledge to pull this off with a piece of code like Oracle. There are some very amazing people out there.

The problem is that I don't think the numbers of these folks can even remotely match the jobs demand. Mostly this kind stays on a boring 9-2-5 job for about as long as it takes to change the shirt. And they're off to whoever pays them more or up the ladder. Soon they end up with a nice and cosy desk job in some highly paid consultancy and no one hears from them again: they get into a totally different league.

Meanwhile, someone has to keep the steam engine of the economy going. Ie, the vast majority of technical jobs out there. For these, it is neither economically viable nor profitable to even consider this type of candidate. And that's why there are so many medium-pay jobs out there. And will be for quite a while.

Then there is the "outsourcing" talent. The lesser said about this, the better...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto