Re: Tablespace, Diskspace or sql abuse..

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 24 Jun 2003 20:41:30 -0700

nikey11 <member31783_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3037651.1056466812_at_dbforums.com>...

> My question for you now is this:
> Have I been unproffesional by creating a query that combines a table of
> 1358453 rows 3 times to itself?
> should I considered a different approach?

I don't think the issue is professionalism. It is highly dependent on what the requirements are in your particular case. If the design of the db and the requirements for data mandate that such a join be done, then that's it. Abstracting any wishes for quick re-development or re-design, which are nothing but wishful thinking.

Now, of course it may need tuning or refining or whatever terminology your folks use. In order to make it meet a certain level of service and performance. A true professional will accept that as a given, nothing wrong with it and par for the course.

That's where you should be building the bridges with your DBA: they can help in that area. Avoid confrontational situations on other fields: they favour no one in the work place.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Jun 24 2003 - 22:41:30 CDT