Re: Viewing Data in the Oracle8i Database

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:00:50 GMT

Cliff J wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to Oracle. I am a network guy who is trying to get some
> knowledge using Oracle. I installed Oracle8i. All I want to do is log
> in as with the root account and look at the example database that
> comes with the install. I try to log in to SQL using the
> System/Manager account but I don't have sufficient privileges to look
> at data.
> My questions are, is there a built-in "admin" account that I should be
> using to administrate the database and is there a GUI that I can use
> to view data?
> Thanks. I appreciate it.

Since you are new and want to lean, I strongly encourage you to start with the Concepts manual first.

All Oracle documentation is online and available free of charge at http://docs.oracle.com (same as http://otn.oracle.com >> Documentation)

I also suggest you consider looking at "Oracle Essentials: Oracle9i, Oracle8i & Oracle8" (ISBN 0-596-00179-7 @ http://oracle.oreilly.com/) and Beginning Oracle Programming by Sean Dillon, et. al. (ISBN: 186100690X) now out of print but still available if you're lucky.

Please don't get used to accessing the database under the SYS or SYSTEM userids. After you've gone through Conceptrs manual you should understand why.

As for a GUI to access data - 'real DBAs use SQL*Plus'. (Beginning Oracle Programming explains why). Although you could consider iSQLPlus <g> Received on Tue Jun 24 2003 - 20:00:50 CDT