Re: It takes all kinds...

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:31:56 GMT

> > Dusan Bolek wrote:
> >
> > > If we're talking about IT, the highest hour salary I've ever seen went
> > > to consultants from Dellouite && Touche && Tohmatsu &&
> > > maybe-something-else-will-be-here-in-the-future. They're totally
> > > useless and they wouldn't found their own asses even with map and
> > > compass.
> >
> > Amen brother. Have seen that too. On more than one occassion. In one
> > specific case these experts (from the US btw) flew all the way over here
> > and spend 2 weeks doing an ERD and 1st level relational db design.. for
> > warehouse. When questioned to the problems of using RDBMS designs for
> > warehousing, their reply was that it was not an issue and can be
addressed
> > with hardware.
> >
> > They left us with shiny A2 printout. And some notes.
> >
> > Needless to say we did roll our own design anyway.. and executive
management
> > at that company still likely believe to this day that their warehouse
> > design was actually done by those two high roller consultants.
>

> rates do not necessarily equal salary.
>
> I talked to a guy who was entry level in 1997 working for oralce. Made
> $52k/year Oracle charged $150/hour for him.
>
> Another guy who had 15 years experience was making $90k and oracle
> charged $300/hour for him.
>
> I have met several people who have taken lower salaries at Oracle to
> get them on their resume then went independent. Alot of 'lay' managesr
> are impressed by it.

btw, Ive noticed that some large companies show bias towards people with 'big 5' consulting experience( i dont even know who the supposed big 5 are).

there just appear to be certain companies you can work for and do EXACTLY the same thing you do elsewhere which people will naturally assume means you gained better experience therefore must be more knowleadgeable.

its somewhat similiar to the degrees from 'top schools'. there are quite a few larger companies which are biased towards these degrees. go to don burlesons site, he specifically states that people who go to top schools should be the leads and put who went to 'state schools' are just regular every day IT people. Received on Tue Jun 24 2003 - 15:31:56 CDT