Re: RMAN questions

From: Dave Hau <davehau_nospam_123_at_nospam_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:41:46 GMT

bcjm wrote:
> 8.1.6, NT, with catalog
>
> 1. Is there a way to add the current date to the backup file or is
> there a way to derive the date from the value of %t?

Easiest way would just be to do a "list backup" and look at the completion time.

%t is the number of seconds elapsed since a fixed reference time hard coded in RMAN. So theoretically, you can just do a test to figure out what that fixed reference time is, and from then on, you can use that same number to calculate the date from the %t value.

> 2. How do you delete the obsolete backup file (backupset)
> automatically? Say I do a full backup to disk daily. I only want to
> keep the past 7 days backupset. I did not find a commend which allows
> me to delete backupset that are older than 7 days. For archivelog
> file I can issue "change archivelog until time='sysdate-7' delete;"
> but not the backupset.

Take a look at $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/rman1.sh

In your case, you might want to change the report obsolete line to:

report obsolete until time 'SYSDATE-7'

Cheers,
Dave