Re: It takes all kinds...

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 24 Jun 2003 11:48:52 -0700

Franklin <member29243_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3036033.1056419887_at_dbforums.com>...
> >>If income were a measure of ability Bill Gates would be the best coder
> >>on the planet.
>
> Excuse me, Bill Gates has assests, not income.
>
> In a competitive market, your salary is a direct reflection of your
> market worth, at least acoording to every major macroeconomic theory.
>
> According to the great Britich economist, Adam Smith, in a Liaise faire
> ecomony, the net income of an individual is a direct reflection of
> their value.
>
> If you are underpaid, you change jobs, and if you are overpaid, you
> get laid off.
>
> The TUSC consultants command $450/hr because clients are willing to pay
> that price. If they were percieved to be too expensive, they would hire
> someone else, especially in this market. Nobody forces people to pay
> them big bucks.
>
> Hence, ceteris parabus, I would say that the $180k/yr DBA is definitely
> more qualified than the $30k/yr DBA.

dont know if anyone else has noticed this, but until you reach the 7-10 year mark or more salaries are based more on years of experience than quality of work. Has anyone else noticed this? Happens more with recruiters than straight with HR, but its happened to me with HR. More and more companies retain recruiters too.

its even more so in contracting where salary is almost directly tied to years of experience. Job offers are often far more based on experience than a good technical interview as well.

your degree seems to matter alot also. My lack of Computer Science degree has lowered offers to me by as much as $10k in some places. Also ive noticed people can get paid more(though not every time) if they are certified or if they have Oracle on their resumes.

however, experience seems to be the #1 factor, not skill. Yes, I know YOUR company may not do that, but alot of companies do. Received on Tue Jun 24 2003 - 13:48:52 CDT