Re: copying a database from one server to another

From: Richard O <maverickguy_1_at_mailcity.com>
Date: 24 Jun 2003 02:59:13 -0700

An overview (high-level) of how you may restore your database.

  1. Install Oracle on the new machine. (This will also re-intrroduce Oracle to the registry)
  2. Restore your datafiles, online redo logs and control file to their original locations. (This is the easiest way. You may place them on other sub-directories, edit a recreated control file, etc; but that will take a whole new thread). If you have the original init.ora, that would help. If not edit the default init.ora file.
  3. Recreate the Oracle service using "oradim". Check docs for the syntax.
  4. Edit the listener.ora file; add your database instance.

I have done this several times before; you should have a restored database afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rich