Re: Interesting info about Oracle

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 23 Jun 2003 20:19:04 -0700

tonym101_at_hotmail.com (TM) wrote in message news:<7b718442.0306231411.7d60aa3c_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote in message news:<bd7dbs$ru3$1_at_dackel.pdb.sbs.de>...
>
> Yes, unbelievable. You've "heard" that from Noons. IMHO you should

You checking people around now, TM? Not bad, for an "impartial" technical person. That was posted ages ago. Been told to come here and keep me "honest" eh? Typical.

As a footnote:
he "heard" NOTHING of the sort. The posting in question, (which one READS, instead of HEARS,) is still in google. It says: the administrator password (not "DB2 passwords") is in the first 100 bytes of the first datafile of DB2.

Like in the other statements which you denied and have been proven to be true by IBM's own doco, I stand by that. Dump the first 512 bytes of the first datafile and it's there to see. In UDB, V7, Windows, default install. You KNOW how to dump files in Windows, don't you? I hope so...

> be more selective with your sources, since this is barely more
> accurate than his usual stuff.

Just like the other crap you dumped here and I proved you didn't know what you're talking about, eh? Do you really want me to continue to cite the manual for the OPTIMIZE FOR n ROWS, right where it says the optimizer plans change with this option? Or are you adult enough to admit you were talking out of your marketing manual?

> There is however a tiny grain of truth

Understatement of the year...
<this is gonna be fun!>

> The file Noons is talking about is db2cli.ini,

No it is NOT the file I'm talking about, you idiot. Read what I wrote in the original post and try to understand for once.

> the PWD field would contain Oracle ODBC user passwords unencrypted, if
> I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken, as usual.

>Not a good idea perhaps, but not really Oracle or
> IBM's fault seeing that ODBC is a Microsoft standard.

Amazing! Regular as clockwork: *it's Bill's fault*. That IBM stores unencrypted passwords in an ini file! Of course.
Unreal how you "folks" just don't get how ridiculous you sound...

> In point of fact, because the DB2 DBMS uses the server or client
> operating system to authenticate users, it has no need to store
> passwords.

Not even the admin password? Be VERY careful with your reply, you are NOT the only person listening...

> Hope this clears that up.

Like mud.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Jun 23 2003 - 22:19:04 CDT