Re: Oracle 9 install on machine with Oracle 8 already installed

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:33:34 GMT

Paul Smith wrote:

> I've read it's possible to have Oracle 8 installed on the same machine
> as Oracle 9. Unfortunately I can't find any Oracle documentation on
> this. The installation guide for version 9 does not go into such
> scenarios.

The purpose of ORACLE_HOME is to separate versions of the software (generally found in $ORACLE_HOME/bin) along with all the support files for that software (such as the language files)

Oracle is kind of unique in the WIndows world as they go out of their way to avoid putting files into the C:\WINNT or equivalent, and everything for a specific version is under the one home. As a result, addig a new version simply means adding a new home as the top level and going from there.

> The installation guide tells me that the oraInventory is a repository
> of all installed Oracle products. Does that mean that it should be
> updated with the details of the Oracle 9 installation I am about to
> do? Or will I end up with two oraInventory?

One oraInventory per installer 'type', but generally the installers are up and back compatible from an Inventory perspective. Note that the latest installer - I think it was released with patch of databae 9.2 - converts to an XML format and that is not compatible with older versions.

> I have Oracle 8 installed in /u01. Under that I have a folder
> /u01/oraInventory and one named /u01/OraHome8. Should I set
> ORACLE_BASE to /u01 and ORACLE_HOME to OraHome9 before starting the
> installation. Or should I install version 9 in a completely seperate
> area?

Leave ORACLE_BASE as it is, set a new ORACLE_HOME as you describe.

Or go to a totally new userid and do an install totally from scratch. Not my preference these days with the control available with ORACLE_HOME.

> I already have an 'oracle' user and an 'oinstall' [ORAINVENTORY] group
> for the Oracle 8 installation. I imagine that I can/should use these
> for the Oracle 9 installation?

I would leave it at that. In the Oracle 7 days, I would seriously consider separate userids, but IMO that is not not required any longer.