partitions in a table

From: viktor <vikingil_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2003 09:06:20 -0700

Hi,
I have a program that collects a-lot of data every 30 min. I currently have a 14 tables on per day for 2 weeks. I want to merge them all to one table.
In order to load the data I use SQL*Loader in direct path load. If I want to use staging table and work in UNRECOVERABLE mode in the load (in case of a failure I will just truncate the staged table and reload the data)
I will probably need to use 672 partitions in the table ("14(days) * 48 (periods) = 672").

  1. Is this recommended to use this many partitions?
  2. is it even possible?
  3. Is there is another way I can use to take advantage of the UNRECOVERABLE but not damaging data if we fail in the insert?
  4. What happen if I do this and performing the ALTER command bellow and having a media failure ? is the inserted data is lost? ALTER TABLE transaction_data EXCHANGE PARTITION transaction_data00785 WITH TABLE transaction_data_stage INCLUDING INDEXES;
Thanks,
Viktor Received on Mon Jun 23 2003 - 11:06:20 CDT