Re: Totally Stupid Question from a total Newbie

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:46:30 GMT

Jon Spartan wrote:

> Hullo,
>
> Oracle - Version 8.1.7
>
> !) I have to make a listener name on a system which just has the
> default name which I would like to remove.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'make a listener'. If you mean, configure the file by hand, you usually need to be looking at the files Listener.ora, SQLNet.ora and TNSNames.ora

These file are usually located in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory. Configuration of these files can be complex - most use the Net8 Configuration Assistant to start. Not sure which documentation you are using, so I'll refer you to the Net8 Administrator's Guide (found at http://otn.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/tahiti.docindex)

> 2) How do I obatin the "service name" for the Oracle server for my
> local enterprise managers ?

On windows, the database instance is controlled by a service started up in control panel -> services. You should find that referenced in the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora.

In unix, service and SID basically match up.

> 3) I will also need to tsart this automatically when the system
> reboots.

OS dependant - windows, set the listener service to start automaticaly. unix - put it in your rc.3,4,5 or rc.6 as appropriate for your system.

> 4) I may have to start this listener by hand on occassion

same command - $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl ... use start/stop/help as appropriate.

> everything will have to be done by telnet also.
>
> I am totally brain dead when it comes to Oracle. I admit that.I have
> been searching all the online documents for two days now.
>
> I was wondering if someone might be able to just give me a start by
> step procedure for each.

step by step for windows is available at http://otn.oracle.com -> sample code -> Oracle By Example -> any OBE session's prerequisites ... not much change between 8i (8.1.7) and 9i

if not windows, please advise the OS