Re: Interesting info about Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:18:55 -0700

Keith wrote:

> I would tend to agree that MySQL is a toy, but PostgreSQL is anything but.
>
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:45:57 -0400, Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I am looking to buy database software and tools. I ran into this
> >>article. Should one avoid Oracle and go to cheaper alternatives like
> >>PostgreSql (http://postgresql.org)? I thought this was an interesting
> >>article.
> >

> > Well of course this article mainly applies when you go for the lowest
> > price and don't care about functionality. If you prefer a toy because
> > of the lower price, why don't you go ahead, and save us your rant?
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

And you have compared the functionality of the two with:

  1. What hardware?
  2. What size database?
  3. How many simultaneous transactions?
  4. Java?
  5. XML?
  6. Text searches?
  7. Spatial data?
  8. Security?
  9. Stability?

Please share with us your wealth of experience and knowledge. We will give it all the attention it deserves.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu