Re: Can you backup a tablespace when the database is offline

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:27:32 +0200

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:05:59 GMT, Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote:

>However, you can execute
>"select * from v$datafile" you can see that the "status" column says
>that the datafiles are "online".
>If at this point you execute "recover database", all datafiles with
>"status=online" will be recovered, but those with "status=offline"
>will not be recovered..
>So a datafile with "status=online" does not really mean a user can
>access it, since the DB is in mount state. Is this the correct
>concept?

A database which is in MOUNT state is not accessible by end-users, it is accessible by users with SYSDBA and/or SYSOPER privilege only. In NOMOUNT state the datafiles aren't opened, so they are offline. In MOUNT state they are opened, so they are online. Why do you try to be as nitpicking and hairsplitting as possible? Do we *really* need to go to fully explain *ALL* the sentences you read in the manual? Shouldn't you better subscribe to an Oracle course?

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Jun 22 2003 - 07:27:32 CDT