Re: Can you backup a tablespace when the database is offline

From: Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:04:49 GMT

On 18 Jun 2003 10:27:40 -0700, mngong_at_yahoo.com (michael ngong) wrote:

>Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message news:<v3ruevobqem3bcbuib4fca4hmr6uddsjdj_at_4ax.com>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you backup a tablespace when the database is offline?
>> I know you can backup a datafile when the databse is either online or
>> offline.
>>
>> Thanks for your attention
>

>You can only perform a hot backup (tablespace by tablespace backup)
>when the database is online.When the database is not online, there is
>no way I know of that you can have access to the tablespaces.So being
>able to back up a tablespace when the database is offline goes without
>saying "not possible"

Suppose I am using user managed backup. When the DB is offline but mounted, the tablespaces and datafiles can still be online. so you can still copy files using OS commands.

But if the the DB is online, you can use: "alter tablespace tbs begin backup"

I cannot find
"alter database datafile df begin backup" in the manual. Is this command valid?

Thanks Received on Sat Jun 21 2003 - 19:04:49 CDT