Tuning Question

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:57:31 -0500

Just looking for opinions... I have my own and another DBA I work with has his opinion. Looking for some other opinions...

Some info on setup first...

Scenario: Suppose you have a small table less than 1Meg (.82) that is queried 140,000 times a day on db2. The table currently has no index, and the query runs in less than 1 second (100Msecs) when the server is idle (no other activity).

Question: Would you put an index to improve the 1 query to improve averall system usage?

My opinion is the table is so small , if it isn't always cached, then it should be forced to be cached.

Other DBA's opinion is to add a combo-index on the 2 columns queried in this 1 query.

Note: I am not sure of other usage of this table. There could be other querys on other columns or a lot of inserts ... not sure right now.