Re: 9i Enterprise on Windows XP Home?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:48:28 GMT

John wrote:

> Well, there are differences on some high-end features, as I recall.

Since you prefer to challenge my statement than to look at the reference document at http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/pdf/9idb_rel2_prod_fam.pdf I copy the pertainent section (from page 6) here

Oracle9i Personal Edition is available on Windows2000, Windows NT, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (32-bit and 64-bit). It includes at no extra cost all features and options that are available with Oracle9i Enterprise Edition, such as Oracle Partitioning and Oracle Advanced Security, with the exception of the Oracle Real Application Clusters option.

I'd say that's pretty explicit. On page 2, it also states that Personal and Enterprise are 100% compatible.

> Pesonal edition does not support full range of replicaiton option I
> think. If you install Enterprise and log in through SQL*PLUS, ORACLE

Yes, it tells you it's Personal Oracle - possibly because the options (Spatial, Olap, etc.) are legitimately loaded. Possibly to remind you that the license only allows 1 user to access it, and that is a Named, not Concurrent user.

> still tells you it is Personal. That's what I seeing right now. Just
> want to get a confirmation from anybody who might be doing and seeing
> the same thing.

Again, what is your concern? Received on Fri Jun 20 2003 - 17:48:28 CDT