Re: Conencting Java to Oracle instance

From: Rauf Sarwar <member31517_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:38:55 +0000

Originally posted by Peter
> I would like to connect our Java applications to an Oracle instance on
> Win200 Server. What type of drivers(type 1,2) do I need? Where can I
> find them?
>
> Thanks

Both type-2 and 4 are bundled with Oracle software. Look at ORACLE_HOME\jdbc\lib directory.

JDBC Type-2 or otherwise known as OCI driver requires native Oracle runtime install because it uses Oracle's middleware (net8) and external libraries.

JDBC Type-4 or otherwise known as thin driver is pure java driver and does not require native Oracle runtime. However, it only supports TCP/IP protocol.

It's your choice if you want to use one over the other but there are certain limitations in Type-4 driver. Goto http://tahiti.oracle.com and search for "JDBC developer's guide and reference".

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar