Re: 9i Enterprise on Windows XP Home?

From: John <jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Jun 2003 14:32:22 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:<3EF353F2.4A6C9D1D_at_telusplanet.net>...
> John wrote:
>
> > Come again? You ARE running enterprize on XP home? Do you have
> > evidence that the Enterprize edition is indeed installed on you
> > machine? My experience is that Personal edition will be installed even
> > if you select the enterprize option during installation.
>
> Don't know about the XP Home part, but according to the "Oracle9i Database - A Family of Products" document
> at otn, there is no functional difference between Personal and Enterprise. There are no limits to the
> number of concurrent instances that can be run and there are no differences between the options either -
> except that RAC can not be installed. Personal appears to be a license variant only.
>
> So what does it matter?

Well, there are differences on some high-end features, as I recall. Pesonal edition does not support full range of replicaiton option I think. If you install Enterprise and log in through SQL*PLUS, ORACLE still tells you it is Personal. That's what I seeing right now. Just want to get a confirmation from anybody who might be doing and seeing the same thing.

John Received on Fri Jun 20 2003 - 16:32:22 CDT