Re: RAID 1 & Oracle problems?

From: Dave Hau <davehau_nospam_123_at_nospam_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:53:34 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:41:12 GMT, "Randy Nichols"
> <randynichols_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>A potential customer related that they heard Oracle had problems with RAID 1
>>configurations.  I have not been aware of any issue with RAID 1.  Has anyone
>>heard anything like that?
>>

> No, there are none. RAID-5 is of course a different story, but your
> potential customer should proof his fairytale.

Even RAID-5 is okay for usage scenarios like data warehouse where you're more concerned about read performance than write performance. For OLTP, if you move your redo logs to a RAID-1 array and just use the RAID-5 for data files, I think performance won't be too bad either because most of the writing to data files happens in the background.

Cheers,
Dave