Re: Where can I get a complete list of all SQL Hints?

From: Bosco Ng <boscong_at_leccotech.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:30:57 +0800

> Absence of hints might be proof enough.

Absence of hints means better optimizer???? And you base your arguments on that?
Hmmm... might be Access is better than both Oracle and DB2 UDB coz it doesn't have hints and optimizer level settings ....

It's just the same wolf under different cover and I found the optimizer level (and those FOR READ ONLY and blah blah blah ..) more abstract and difficult to use when I need to tune a SQL statement. (yes, I know Hints and optimizer level should be last resort but somehow you just can't guarantee the optimizer makes 100% correct decision for you, do you?)

> Yeah, but every predecessor version of DB2 since the very beginning
> had a cost-based optimiser, i.e. well over a decade before Oracle. So
> it's you talking crap.

Yes, so is IBM to Oracle. The earlier presence of CBO does not make it a better one.

> DB2 UDB for multi-platforms doesn't support hints of any kind, like I
> said.

Sybase on any platform does not support hints either. They called them Options and Forces. How about that? Oh, Forces aren't hint, so Sybase must be better than Oracle. What a simple comparison and mind inspiring notion.