Re: trigger from signing on?

From: Rauf Sarwar <member31517_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 05:55:11 +0000

Originally posted by Spiderman
> Thank you for your reply. Sorry I wasn't being clearer. The client
> wants to
> approach the web-based application from the current VB6
> application, so yes,
> I think that's where we are heading, perhaps toward Java
> centric apps. I
> know I can use servlet to connect to Oracle then make a query then
> fire the
> necessary alert, but I am exploring the options now. If the
> connection is
> made via a web application, how would you do it from what you
> discussed?
> steps by steps instructions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would not use database events i.e. trigger etc to show a popup message to a user when he/she logs on. To do that, you would have to throw an exception inside a trigger and trap it and format it in some message popup... kinda messy.

I would handle this on client side. No matter which tool you are using to build your client, you would probably build/use some standard logon class/object/function. I would do something like this,

Try Logon (Logon URL i.e. username, password, database etc)

   IF Logon successfull THEN

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar