Re: PL/SQL substr(instr oracle

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 19 Jun 2003 23:12:58 -0700

Rauf Sarwar <member31517_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3023669.1056073455_at_dbforums.com>...

> and your above query is missing a ) after -1 and also results in,
> YC C I M C

You caught my deliberate mistake... :D
I can't cut and paste from my system to the one I use to post. So it came copied by hand. Obviously, I missed a few things.

> Here is the improvement to your above query... You need outside replace
> to remove spaces and you don't need -1 in first substr,

No not at all, the outside replace is superfluous. Use the intentional space *before* the list of lowercase letters! As in ' abc...xyz'. Not 'abc...xyz'. That does the same as the replace. That was the subtle change I mentioned in my second post.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Jun 20 2003 - 01:12:58 CDT