Oracle RAC/Windows Hang problem

From: Steve Teeters <teeterss_at_saic.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2003 13:00:56 -0700

We have a production installation of Oracle RAC (9.0.1.4.1). Running on Windows Advanced Server, w/2 nodes. Using Compaq/HP DL580 servers.

We have been experiencing a problem where both instances will 'hang', meaning that all processing stops, and no users can log onto Oracle (not even SYS).
We've had Oracle support helping us with this off and on, but with no success. We get absolutely no error messages in any of the logs; Oracle simply stops responding. The only way to get it back is to bounce both instances.

Oracle support suggested we run a 'hang analyze' script (which they supplied), but we can't run ANYTHING when the hang occurs, so this script is useless.

To get around this, we have been running with only one instance up.... obviously getting NO benefit from having RAC at all. If we start both instances, we will get the hang problem within 2 or 3 days, guaranteed.

Question: Is ANYONE out there having production success with RAC on Windows? Oracle is at a loss as to why this is happening, so I'm wondering if there's some help out there? Has anyone seen this 'hang' problem with RAC?

Thanks,
Steve Received on Thu Jun 19 2003 - 15:00:56 CDT