Re: Slightly OT: DBA duty assignments...

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:35:24 +0100

"Steve Howard" <stephen.howard_at_us.pwcglobal.com> wrote in message news:6d8b7216.0306191001.2107d9ed_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello All,
>
> This is more of an administration post, but I assume this affects all
> of us on some level.
>
> For those of you with DBA's in different locations, how do you deal
> with who makes what changes where? We have about 100 databases that
> we manage, with two DBA's in one state and one other in another state.
> We have boxes in both locations.
>
> Do you assign lead DBA's to each database?
>
> If so, what does that mean (i.e., who can do what?)
>
> Can each DBA make a change in another "leads" database and then inform
> him/her?

We don't allocate lead DBAs formally - and we don't have different locations. We do have a strict change process which means that before any 'significant' change is made a change control document has to be filled out by the person that wll make the change and signed by at least 6 other people including 2 technical reviewers and people outside the dba team. Other DBAs get to be technical reviewers on my change documents *always*. You have to detail the exact change and risks to the system of making the change or not. There is a lesser document a change log which *only* requires 2 signatories other than the person making the change. These would typically be a DBA as well for my changes. If you even have a minor debate about wether it is a loggable or a controllable change - its controllable.

Benefits. All changes get communicated. Your ass is covered. Drawbacks. Can you say time-consuming.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA