Re: Which tablespace offline mode will cause a checkpoint to occur?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:16:34 GMT

It all depends on what you mean by "reconciled". A checkpoint in the system will update all datafile SCNs, except for those that are READ ONLY or offline. If a datafile needs to be recovered, then it is the archived redo logs and the online redo logs that sync up all online, READ WRITE datafiles.

HTH,
Brian

Peter wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:24:51 GMT, Hans Forbrich
> <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
> >Peter wrote:
> >
> >> What I am not sure about is that if a checkpoint occurs for this
> >> tablespace right before it is taken offline, then when it is taken
> >> online again, its SCN will be lagging behind SCN of other tablespaces.
> >> How is this reconciled?
> >

> If only this tablespace's SCN is incrementaed before it is taken
> offline then the other online tablespaces' SCN will lag behind
> instead. How is this reconciled?
> Thanks
>
> >Where is the SCN stored?
> >
> >Why does it matter that the SCN is lagging?
> >
> >Under what conditions does it need to be reconciled?

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"