Re: Slightly OT: DBA duty assignments...

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:34:16 GMT

At my shop, we have a team of DBAs and each DBA is responsible for a certain number of database as the primary DBA on that system. The other DBAs provide backup support. We have an unwritten rule where I won't make changes to another DBA's primary system unless he is gone and the change can't wait until he gets back. Each DBA attends configuration control board meetings for their primary databases.

HTH,Brian

Steve Howard wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> This is more of an administration post, but I assume this affects all
> of us on some level.
>
> For those of you with DBA's in different locations, how do you deal
> with who makes what changes where? We have about 100 databases that
> we manage, with two DBA's in one state and one other in another state.
> We have boxes in both locations.
>
> Do you assign lead DBA's to each database?
>
> If so, what does that mean (i.e., who can do what?)
>
> Can each DBA make a change in another "leads" database and then inform
> him/her?
>
> What success/failures are probable in any given scenario?
>
> You get the drift...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Brian Peasland