Re: Which tablespace offline mode will cause a checkpoint to occur?

From: Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:51:15 GMT

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:55:15 GMT, Kenneth Koenraadt wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:37:28 GMT, Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>If you perform
>>
>>alter tablespace offline
>>
>>which mode will cause a checkpoint to occur?
>>
>>Normal, immediate or transactional?
>>

>Hi Peter,
>
>"Transactional" does not exist (in 9i). "Temporary" does.

I checked the manual again , "temporary" does instigate a check point for this tablespace.

>Strictly speaking, none of them will cause a checkpoint!
>
>A checkpoint is an instance-wide event, causing ALL dirty blocks in
>the buffer to be written to ALL their respective datafiles.
>
> But "normal" will cause all buffer blocks belonging to the datafiles
>of this particular tablespace to be written to the files. So "Normal"
>will cause a "checkpoint" for this particular tablespace, which means
>it can be taken online again without recovery.

What I am not sure about is that if a checkpoint occurs for this tablespace right before it is taken offline, then when it is taken online again, its SCN will be lagging behind SCN of other tablespaces. How is this reconciled?

Thanks Received on Thu Jun 19 2003 - 04:51:15 CDT