Re: Pragma Restrict_References Question.

From: Bill Lucas <Homebrew42_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:01:17 GMT

First Sorry about not posting the version, my oversight. It is version 9.2.0.1.0

I understand that it is no not necessary to use these pragmas in Oracale 9i but I was also under the impression that it was still good practice. I did read the docs and found that if you don't declare your pragma explicitly Oracle had to determine at runtime if the function was safe for use in a select statement. So if you declare it in the package then you can save a little bit of time.

Finally the application itself will never use this function in a select. However, we have a lot of reports that will need to be run, and while we could split it out into a cube our users may not have the ability resources skill or staff to maintain the beast. So we give them the option of running the reports against our database, and they are warned ahead of time to schedule these reports for periods of low DB activity etc. So I know it wouldn't be scalable if these were peppered throughout the code, but in our case we do have a reason for what we are doing...

Now despite all the caveats, which is better approach?

Thanks,
Bill