Re: Installing 8.1.7 Patchsets Without a DB Created

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:18:01 -0500

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:18:25 -0400, Greg Brady <anonymous_at_nowhere.net> wrote:

>If I install the initial release of Oracle 8.1.7 without creating a
>database, and then immediately apply PatchSet 8.1.7.4 (by just
>running the installer), do I need to run any sql to assure I'm
>COMPLETELY running that patchset?
>
>Reason I ask is that I did just that, installed the Oracle 8.1.7.0
>product (without creating a DB), ran the installer for the 8.1.7.4
>PatchSet, and THEN created my database using the Database
>Configuration Utility. However, when I query on the version, I
>noticed that the "CORE" component is reporting 8.1.7.2.1. Am I fine
>with the following, or do I need to do another step?
>
>SQL> select * from v$version;
>
>BANNER
>Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production
>PL/SQL Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production
>CORE 8.1.7.2.1 Production
>TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.4.0 - Production
>NLSRTL Version 3.4.1.0.0 - Production
>
>Thanks,
>Greg Brady

You asked "If I install the initial release of Oracle 8.1.7 without creating a database, and then immediately apply PatchSet 8.1.7.4 ..., do I need to run any sql " Question: If you don't have a database, where would you run your SQL?

If you have installed the patchset, you're done, any database you create from that point forward will be at the patchset level. The different numbers you are seeing at the Banner are due to the fact that various sub-components have their own version numbers. The one you are really interested in is "Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production". Received on Wed Jun 18 2003 - 08:18:01 CDT