Re: Anybody using warehouse builder?

From: John <jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2003 21:25:05 -0700

Thanks for the info.!
"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3eef7df2_2_at_mk-> What I do know is that my company was evaluating ETL tools for a DW project,
> and that Oracle withdrew from the tendering process. Eventually another tool
> was selected, and we are supposedly going with that. The main source of data
> is an IBM mainframe.

Interesting. Did ORACLE withdraw voluntarily? That seems to be a rare act from ORACLE sales. Which product did your company select?

> I'm a cynic however, and would have gone with flat files, load to staging
> schema, then PL/SQL to cleanse, transform and load. But this approach was
> ruled out unconditionally by the system 'architects' before the project even
> got started.

When you start using a really good ETL tool, you will begin to see the real benefits it can offer. You can do pretty much everything mannualy if you want. But... Think of it as using OEM for database management in stead of SQL*PLUS.

John Received on Tue Jun 17 2003 - 23:25:05 CDT