Re: LINUX Kernel Parameters

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2003 21:10:14 -0700

Dave Hau <davehau_nospam_123_at_nospam_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<3EEF6C76.7020303_at_nospam_netscape.net>...
> > Separate DEV and TEST instances, More then one Oracle versions,
> > Leveraging resources on one machine to run multiple processes... just
> > to name a few.
>
> I'm okay with the second reason. First reason is, maybe. But third
> reason: leveraging resources on one machine to run multiple processes???
> Isn't that what dedicated server is for? You get a separate process
> for each session anyways. Come on. ;-)

Multiple processes as in multiple instances. Oracle instance is a collection of processes (on *nix) ... which also includes sessions.

I hope this makes it clear and BTW first reason is fairly common in a development shop. We host our customers TEST/DEV instances on our servers and some servers host upto 20 or more instances. User load is very low and sporadic... maybe 1 to 3 Software Eng. per instance.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Tue Jun 17 2003 - 23:10:14 CDT