Re: Zero Client front end to Oracle

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:01:18 +0100

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:bcmcvo$29l$2_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Zero client front end?
>
> We had them. They worked damn well. Until PCs came along and we were told
> that running mainframes with dumb terminals were the stupid and old thing
> to do.
>
> Now the wheel has come full circle again. Except a PC ain't no damn dumb
> terminal ito processing power.
>
> Zero client front end on PC's? Pretty pathetic. And shows a complete lack
of
> understanding client-server architecture.

<RANT>
Agree entirely. What was needed 20 years ago was a terminal with zero configuration; i.e. a dumb one.
What's needed today is a terminal with zero configuration; i.e. a browser.

The *whole* point in large organisations is to stop the client from doing anything intelligent; for that way lies anarchy. The folks with 'thin client' solutions 10 years ago were of course right; they just lost the marketing war.

Nothing has changed, except the cost of ownership.

Regards,
Paul
<END RANT> Received on Tue Jun 17 2003 - 17:01:18 CDT