Re: PL/SQL substr(instr oracle

From: Eric Parker <eric.parker.spamless_at_virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:36:15 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3EEF937D.CAB015BD_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Brian Peasland wrote:
>
> > You probably won't be able to do this in a simple SQL statement. Most
> > likely, you'll have to use some PL/SQL and loop through the string and
> > parse it as you go.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Brian
> >
> > Pal wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > can some one help to write a sql where I can extract string from the
> > > field like this
> > >
> > > YC_CHOICE_IS_MY_CHOICE
> > >
> > > YC_CIMC
> > >
> > > SP_786_at_YAHOO.COM
> > >
> > > THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian Peasland
> > oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com
> >
> > Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me.
> >
> > "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of
> > the three"
>
> If by your answer you are indicating that you understand what the OP was
> asking I would very much like to know what it is?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Daniel

The OP's spec is far from clear.
I'd decided that what was required was
The 1st characters up to and including the 1st underscore. Followed by each character preceded by an underscore.

I think it works for the OP's case but if it's what he wants in general...

Regards

eric Received on Tue Jun 17 2003 - 17:36:15 CDT