Failed Index Creation Recovery

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: 17 Jun 2003 13:01:45 -0700

Two weeks ago I was building an EXTREMELY large index. Well unfortunately it got in the way of business-critical applications with it's table locking and I was ordered to kill the index creation. It had been running for 6 days.

So afterwards the SMON and DBWR process kicked in. I read that this is normal cleanup. However they have been running at a high clip for over 8 days now. Is there any way to tell how far along a recovery is?

We are running Oracle 7.3.4.5 on HP-UX.

PS - For future reference, how does one calculate the optimal INITIAL and NEXT extent parameters for the CREATE INDEX statement? Received on Tue Jun 17 2003 - 15:01:45 CDT