Re: LINUX Kernel Parameters

From: Dave Hau <davehau-no-spam-123_at_no-spam.netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:13:37 GMT

"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:3EEF334A.A5DCB6F2_at_remove_spam.peasland.com...
> I run multiple instances on a server all the time, without problems.
> Tuning can be a bit of a pain when you have to account for more than one
> instance using a resource, but most of the tuning efforts are focused on
> the application and SQL statements.
>
> To answer your question why I would run more than one instance on one
> server, I'd ask why would you ever run more than one instance at all?

Running more than one instance for a database is fine, just not on the same machine. You do that for clustering, i.e. for load-balancing and failover (RAC). In the case of running a development server and a production server on the same machine, can you not run a single instance of Oracle but have different schemas for dev vs. production?

Cheers,
Dave

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:312574728443032111::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:7739845026791,