Re: move tablespace command fails on two types of cases

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:30:19 GMT

For Case 1, you can't use the ALTER TABLE MOVE command if the table contains a LONG or LONG RAW column. This is one of the many reasons why LOBs should be used instead. To move the table, you'll have to export it, drop it, recreate it in the new tablespace, and then import with IGNORE=Y. For Case 2, you'll need to move each partition with a command similar to the following:

ALTER TABLE my_table MOVE PARTITION my_tables_partition1 TABLESPACE new_tablespace;

HTH,
Brian

Time Vest Insurance wrote:

> Case 1:
>
> alter table XTABLE move tablespace YTABLESPACE
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatyp
>
> Case 2:
>
> alter table ZTABLE move tablespace YTABLESPACE
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-14511: cannot perform operation on a partitioned object
>
> The long is storing a string type
>
> I'm not clear on what a partitioned object is and how to tell and why it became
> partitioned.
>
> Bob

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com