Re: next extent query

From: Arcangelo <xxx_at_yyy.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:27:50 +1000

"Phillip" <tienp_at_wholefoods.com> wrote in message news:3EEDDF63.DBF494BE_at_wholefoods.com...
> Hello,
>
> how would I find out the next extent of segments that are on a locally
> managed tablespace with autoallocate set? Doing a query on dba_segments
> or dba_tablespaces yields a null value for next_extent. Thanks in
> advance. Please copy tienp_at_wholefoods.com in your responses.

(A) You're missing the point: the whole idea of LMTs is that you give up wasting your time worrying about things like extent sizes.

(B) The next extent will be the same size as your last one (so check out BYTES in dba_extents), unless you happen to be on one of the autoallocate boundaries. The barebones autoallocate algorithm goes: first 16 extents will be 64K, then to extent #79 will be 1M, then to extent #199 will be 8M, thereafter 64M. So unless you have 15, 79 or 199 extents, your next extent will be the same as the last one. However, the algorithm gets more complicated if you specify an INITIAL at the time of table creation, and if that's the case, see answer (A) above.

;-|