VB CLOB read problem

From: Linus Nikander <linus_at_nikander.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:52:53 +0200

I've got a problem accessing CLOB data from my VB (VB 6.0 not .net) app. I get the following error

"run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)" when i execute the following statement "SELECT xmlwintable_data FROM tgs.SC_SERIES WHERE series_id = 8" in this case xmlwintable_data is a CLOB field in the db. Essentially all I want to do is read the text in the field and use its contents further down in the code.

I've read several how-to's that i've found but they all generate the same error. I've got a hunch this might have something to do with the version of the driver i'm using, but i'm not all that familiar with which version I should be using and how I find out which one i'm using at present. I do know that i'm running against an oracle 8.1.7 Db and that i've got the corresponding 8.1.7 tools/drivers installed on my local computer. I can run SQL's that don't retreive CLOB fields successfully using the same connection so I'm a bit stumped as to what i'm doing wrong.

Can anyone see what i'm doing wrong/ spot the cause of the error ? How do i verify that i'm running the correct drivers (and which drivers SHOULD i be using) ?

Any pointers are very welcome.

//Linus Nikander - linus_at_nikander.net Received on Mon Jun 16 2003 - 10:52:53 CDT