Re: About Oracle9iAS

From: Edzard <edzard_at_volcanomail.com>
Date: 16 Jun 2003 07:40:05 -0700

"Tanel Poder" <tanel@@peldik.com> wrote in message news:<3eeda314_1_at_news.estpak.ee>...
> "M" <noreply_at_noreply.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. I understand that Oracle is a little bit weak in client
> > applications,
> > esp. in Forms & Reports, not to mention Oracle Graphics. However,
> > quite a lot of appls still run using Oracle Forms, e.g. Oracle Financials.
> > That's why I need to learn this "tech", no matter I like it or not.
>
> Hi!
>
> Actually forms is a very powerful user interface tool/language, it doesn't
> look nice, but it allows to increase productivity of GUI users, if built and
> deployed correctly. Of course, now web technnologies allow to build as
> powerful UI-s, but forms will remain around for long time, especially
> because E-Business Suite (although they've moved parts of their applications
> to SSF, html-based self service framework)
>
> Tanel.

Hello,

With regards to the RTF-issue: there is a document: "Deploying Forms Applications to the Web" as it was called with Forms6i (now maybe "Forms Services Deployment Guide"). I did not succeed to run Forms services independent from 9iAS, that is I needed to have Apache and/or JSERV services started. Did NOT need an infrastructue DB though.

It is great to be able to build web applications just with your old Forms and Reports tools and knowledge. Still, 9iAS includes it own form builder and that may be better suited for the web.

Best regards, Edzard Pasma Received on Mon Jun 16 2003 - 09:40:05 CDT