Re: shutdown abort vs. immediate

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jun 2003 05:31:20 -0700

A shutdown immediate would be the option I would go with here. There would be really no need to script a shutdown immediate, then a shutdown abort if the immediate does not work. Shutdown immediate will shut the database down and leave it in a consistent state, where abort will not.

Regarding doing an abort because of a hardware failure and corruption, I don't buy the argument to do an abort to get off the failed hardware. The only time I see corruption happening is if you've setup the system with non-raid filesytems, plus, I hardly would believed that you're setting a clustered system and are not going to have any kind of Raid protection.

Regarding the redo log corruption, if you've set up multiplexed redo logs, then this should not be an issue at all.

I have experience with IBM HACMP & HAGEO on p660 6h1'a and have never run into such a issue with shutdown's. My cluster startup and failover is scripted for shutdown immediates with my cluster filesystems mirrored and have yet to experience a problem with Oracle not shutting down.

HTH,
Pete's

The veiws I may have expressed here are solely my own and not that of my employer.