Re: How do you kill a job of a user scheduled job?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 15 Jun 2003 06:24:51 -0700

Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message news:<ob9oev89rqigfum4san4etn9rjtoflgkr7_at_4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:50:52 GMT, "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote:
>

> >"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message
> >> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message

> >> Just to reinforce Sybrand's last sentence:
> >> Please bear in mind that only the job owner can do *anything* with jobs.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Paul
> >>

> >if you use an undocumented package called
> >
> >dbms_ijob.broken and do the same thing you can do it from any user. Its not
> >dangerous.
> >

> desc dbms_ijob
>
> returns nothing, is there really such a package?

since its not documented... its not granted by default. check dba_objects. have your dba grant it.

btw, this IS explained in the Fuerstein, et al Oracle Supplied Packages book. There only concern with it is that in future releases it may change. So it should be tested with each release. Its the same in 8 and 9 though.

btw, one recommended way to handle the DBMS_JOB problem is to simple write a wrapper package for DBMS_JOB. Stick it in a seperate user account and ONLY give that user account priviledges to DBMS_JOB. Then only give people access to the one package.

this way all jobs are run by the same user. So you dont have to worry about this. I think its kind of handy, because I constantly forget the date functions to scheduling and if you put them in the packages as constants you can just check the package spec.

this is also described in that packages book. Its a pretty good book. Received on Sun Jun 15 2003 - 08:24:51 CDT