Re: Where can I get a complete list of all SQL Hints?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:54:39 GMT

"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:3eeb94f0_2_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com...
> "Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> > Ryan wrote:
> >

> > > i was hoping someone outside of oracle put together a list of all the
> oracle
> > > hints including the undocumented ones in one place with an explanation
> of
> > > what they do.
> > >

> > why go outside of Oracle when they are willing to document them? (btw -
> am
> > not an oracle employee, so the list and the explanations in the doc have
> been
> > provided to you by someone outside of oracle <g>)
> >
> > > how many undocumented hints are useful? has anyone used them?
> >
> > yes, undocumented hints can be useful for the following situations:
> >
> > 1) when advised by Oracle's support or
> > 2) when you want to explicitly null your support contract
> >
> > for the sake of those who will be reading the list you eventually
publish,
> > please put - in extremely bold letters - that undocumented hints are
> probably in
> > the process of being deprecated (possibly because they don't work or
they
> are
> > superceeded) OR are under development and should be treated like any
> potentially
> > unstable development (read alpha/beta) code.
> >
> Hans,
>
> My conclusion is that this guy is:
>
> a) Quite bright; he has been pursuing Oracle knowledge for some time
> ow - although maybe he could be criticised for asking questions in the
> group when they could well have been answered by reading the manual.
>
> b) Due to his 'hacker' attitude; entirely unemployable.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

well thats not nice. you do realize that oracle gives their software away for free and many oracle professionals install it at home. where you can play around without having to worry about a support contract? I even update, delete, and drop data dictionary tables from home to see what happens. you know losing that Order Entry database that oracle gives you with the download is just a killer though.

btw, the undocumented hints are not listed on otn. Sometimes people write articles on undocumented features. Even if you dont use them, its often useful to get an idea what they do. Good frame of reference knowledge. Received on Sat Jun 14 2003 - 18:54:39 CDT