Re: Win XP / 9203 patch

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:26:04 +0100

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3EEAD47B.7854_at_yahoo.com...
> Howdy,
>
> Anyone been through the following exercise or similar (this is all just
> on a home PC)
>
> a) Installed Win2K
> b) Installed 9201 fine
> c) Patched to 9202 fine
>
> (a), (b), (c) naturally done some time ago
>
> (d) Upgrade to WinXP
> (e) Patching to 9203
>
> Its (e) where the process has stumbled. In the standard check where
> Oracle looks to see if you've got any services running that need to be
> shut before applying the patch, its pops up with a list of just about
> every started service on the box (Server, RPC, DNS, DHCP, etc, etc,
> etc).
>
> I can hit 'cancel' and just keep on going, but has anyone else had this
> behaviour?

I'd suspect the OS 'upgrade' process, assuming you did the "insert winxp disk say yes to 'this disk contains a newer version of windows would you like to upgrade?'" dance. FWIW I didn't have this problem with the 9203 patchset on winXP - but the box was always XP. The other pertinent difference was that I never did get around to installing 9202 on the box either.

There is a second candidate though which is the OUI, there is a patchset for the installer which is said to address one-off patch issues.

This may be as much use as a chocolate teapot of course.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA