Re: Validating dynamic SQL

From: Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:17:15 +0100

In article <poxGa.980899$Zo.222761_at_sccrnsc03>, kennedy- down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com says...
> I'm guessing that one of the business requirements is that the application
> doesn't need to scale. The famous "We will clear up the performance (or
> scalability) issues once we have the functionality." As one developer I
> worked with said "Performance and scalability are part of the day to day job
> of a developer; not something to be bolted on later." My experience has
> been likewise. Everytime it was something tackled last it ended up costing
> a fortune to fix. Massive design changes and rearchitecture of the system.
> It is unfortunate that I have yet to see a Computer Sciences graduate that
> has taken courses in performance and scalability and how it has to be
> implemented from the start.
>
> Sybrand is correct. Unless it is rare that these things run, scalability is
> going to bite the big one.
> Jim

Au contraire, the application *does* need to scale but you have to get this into perspective. As I said in my original response to Sybrand, you don't know the app. A little more detail. The place in the app where this feature would be used is a function that would be executed perhaps once per week. The data volumes are relatively low. The SQL will be written by someone who understands the database structure and will be tested in e.g. sqlplus. Even if the 'dynamic' sql part took 5 seconds to execute, it would be no issue.

thanks for your thoughts

cheers

--

jeremy