Re: Validating dynamic SQL

From: Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:17:14 +0100

In article <3eea48df_2_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>, paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk says...
> "Jeremy" <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Incidentally, TAB1 will be defined as a temporary table will all rows
> > deleted upon commit.
> >
> > Working in an 8.1.7 environment.....
> >
> This doesn't seem a sensible approach to me. You should seldom need
> 'temporary tables' in any version of any relational db, IMHO (Oracle 9i or
> no 9i - and yes I appreciate this is 8i).
> What is it exactly that you (or your developers) are trying to achieve?
> It sounds to me as though the design might need a rethink.

The situation is this: I know the app, the database structure and the likely data volumes. I know the nature of the query that would be used to poulate the table TAB1. TAB1 is a temporary table which will simply store the PK of rows that require further processing by the core app.

So PROC1 starts, does some work, calls the 'dynamic' sql and then processes each of the PK values that the 'dynamic' sql placed into TAB1.

We don't need the contents of TAB1 beyond the execution PROC1.

--

jeremy